Contact Coach Jim
Subscribe to Coach Jim's FREE weekly newsletter, THE BIG IDEA!
The Power of Positive Quitting
by Jim M. Allen
I'm a big believer in quitting. I think it's a good thing. You should do more of it.
Yes, I did say quitting and -- yes -- I did say you should do more of it!
Sound odd? I'm not surprised. Maybe it's that neat-o 'survival instinct' of yours kicking in. Or maybe after years and years of hearing the old saw 'A winner never quits and a quitter never wins' you came to believe it. After all, since we were very young, 'quitting' has been defined as something negative. Real life, however, shows us that quitting is very often a positive force in our lives.
Don't believe me? Try quitting a few of these things:
If you can quit just one of these things, you'll be creating positive action in your life. But you have to quit first. It's a simple idea most of us overlook: To really be a winner, you have to be able to stop doing stuff that's not good for you!
- Quit using (or abusing) tobacco, alchohol, caffeine, food.
- Quit doing the things that aren't bringing you the results you want.
- Quit procrastinating and you find yourself less rushed and harried.
- Quit putting up with damaging, abusive, and negative relationships (at home and at work).
- Quit jobs and volunteer work that don't truly bring you joy.
- Quit being in relationships that are abusive.
- Quit feeling miserable for yourself and being miserable about stuff beyond your control.
- Quit trying to be everything, to do everything, and to have everything.
So quit waiting... and take action!
Jim Allen is a professional life coach, speaker, and writer. Get more great ideas in you email every week by subscribing to Jim's weekly newsletter, THE BIG IDEA, by sending a blank email to: mailto:Subscribe@CoachJim.com (©2001 Jim Allen & CoachJim.com ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)
YOU MAY PRINT THIS ARTICLE -- AT NO COST -- IN YOUR PRINT OR ONLINE NEWSLETTER, MAGAZINE, OR WEBSITE. TO DO SO, YOU MUST USE THE ENTIRE ARTICLE, TO INCLUDE THE RESOURCE & COPYRIGHT INFORMATION.
MINOR EDITING FOR STYLE AND/OR RETITLING IS PERMITTED. ANY OTHER CHANGES MUST BE APPROVED IN ADVANCE.
ADVANCE NOTICE OF USE IS NOT NECESSARY, HOWEVER, I WOULD APPRECIATE AN ELECTRONIC OR HARD COPY OF THE FINAL USE. (See the bottom of this page for email and/or mailing address.)
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL: Reprints@CoachJim.com.